Monday, July 12, 2010


Cowboy Wisdom part 1

Ever been in a situation where you seem at a loss to resolve it, yet someone has made a comment and although it doesn’t provide an immediate answer, it somehow makes sense. If nothing else it gives you a laugh and that in itself jollies you along.


I collect interesting thoughts and little ditties, which I have rolling along my desktop screensaver. Some years ago, I came across a batch of these comments called “Cowboy Wisdom.” I’ve never been a cowboy, although I do own a “man from Snowy River” hat (all the Aussies will know what I mean, take a youtube peak). It was made famous in the film, “The man from Snowy River”. The Akubra hat has been an icon for many a generation and that is as close to being a cowboy I have ever become. Oh wait, I do like John Wayne films..does that qualify?

Wisdom is applied understanding. It is found not in the hallowed halls of learning but rather on the plains among the people. On the high seas of life amidst the storms that come along. Wisdom can make an inferior person strong whilst lack of it can make a superior person weak. Wisdom is nurtured in the cauldron of life’s challenges and we should embrace its refining as a child would a fluffy toy, as it surely will be a lamp unto our feet in times of darkness.

Here are some gems I have gleaned over the years. I can’t take credit for them, just as Solomon could not lay claim to his; however should you know of other gems I would love to know their fount and source.

-- Authors Unknown


Don't name a pig you plan to eat.

Country fences need to be horse high, pig tight, and bull strong.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.

Keep skunks and bankers at a distance.

Life is simpler when you plough around the stump.

A bumble bee is faster than a John Deere tractor.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

Meanness don't happen overnight.

Forgive your enemies. It messes with their heads.

Don't sell your mule to buy a plough.

Don't corner something meaner than you.

It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.

You can't unsay a cruel thing.

Every path has some puddles.